Del Toro’s THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE Is Criterion’s Spine #666!
Already an inductee into the Collection thanks to a lavish release of his debut film CRONOS, illustrious home video distributor Criterion has set a July 30th release date for Guillermo Del Toro’s haunting, Spanish Civil War set-horror THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE! The Blu-ray & DVD will be fittingly graced with the mark of the beast, spine #666! Can I get a hail satan?!
As expected by Criterion standards, the disc is going to be packed to the brims with bonus features, and of course will look & sound incredible with the all new 2K transfer & 5.1 DTS-HD track. Plus, the cover art is supplied by none other than HELLBOY creator Mike Mignola. Here’s a break down of all the goodies included:
- New 2K digital film restoration, approved by director Guillermo del Toro and cinematographer Guillermo Navarro, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary featuring Del Toro
- Video introduction by Del Toro from 2010
- New interviews with Del Toro about the process of creating the ghost Santi and the drawings and designs made in preparation for the film
- ¿Que es un fantasma?, a 2004 making-of documentary
- Spanish Gothic, a 2010 interview with Del Toro about the genre and its influence on his work
- Interactive director’s notebook, with Del Toro’s drawings and handwritten notes, along with interviews with the filmmaker
- Four deleted scenes, with optional commentary
- New featurette about the Spanish Civil War as evoked in the film
- Program comparing Del Toro’s thumbnail sketches and Carlos Giménez’s storyboards with the final film
- Selected on-screen presentation of Del Toro’s thumbnail sketches alongside the sections of the final film they represent (Blu-ray edition only)
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Mark Kermode