Welcome faithful ICONS readers and supporters! Rob G here. To those have been with us since the beginning when we launched back in April of 2004, THANK you for still being here! And for those newbies just stopping by and skimming around through the oddness that is Icons Of Fright, cheers and welcome!
Our goal from the beginning with ICONS was always a simple one. Deliver extensive informative and educational interviews with various genre professionals, while simultaneously being advocates for all things horror and helping to bridge the gap between those professionals in the industry and us, the fans. We ourselves have always been huge fans of the genre. Every one of us has a story of how pivitol the horror genre has been to our upbringing and we love nothing more than meeting friends, readers and filmmakers at the many conventions that take place across the country every single year.
Along the way, we’ve expanded the site with new columns, video content and anything else we could think of that would be fun and exciting to share with our fellow fans. Back in the heyday of MySpace, we were frequently on top of daily news updates. It wasn’t something that we ever wanted to truly have be the focal point of our site, the interviews were always meant to be that, but as the times changed, we figured we’d better change with them and stay on top of all the horror news. But, as every one of you out there can relate, life sometimes gets in the way.
We apologize in advance for the lack of frequent updates here on ICONS. Or at least compared to the amount of updates we used to provide. To be candid, I myself have been busy on several writing assignments not to mention my regular 9 to 5 job. (It’s not really 9 to 5, it’s more like 2 to 11, but you get my drift.) And Mike C has been back in school, focusing hard on finishing his college degree and that’s monopolized a lot of his time.
So what I’ve decided to do is once a week, check in here and jot down the horror news for the week. (At the very least.) That way we can still attempt to stay relevant and on top of what’s going on in the scene, and you’ll all have a reason to keep coming back and share YOUR thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below! We encourage making ICONS yours as well, because we wouldn’t exist if not for YOU. Bare with us as we figure this all out. And we promise, more cool original ICONS content is definitely on it’s way including a few lost interviews we’ve never had the chance to publish. If you’d like to follow us personally on Twitter, here are some links to our contributors:
Rob G: http://twitter.com/IconsRobG
Mike C: http://twitter.com/mikecicons
Adam Barnick: http://twitter.com/adambarnick
Aaron Pruner: http://twitter.com/AaronFlux
Danny Price: http://twitter.com/danloudnoises
And of course, ICONS OF FRIGHT on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IconsofFright
And now without further ado, the week in horror!!!
– IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT is giving away IMAGE HORROR prize packs to lucky winners via their Facebook page. Click HERE for a chance to win a prize pack featuring BENEATH THE DARKNESS, RABIES, DON’T LET HIM IN, and LITTLE DEATHS.
– Following up on their releases of the vintage 80’s flicks THINGS, THE SECRET LIFE: JEFFREY DAHMER and SLEDGEHAMMER, Intervision will next release the 1997 German shocker THE BURNING MOON on March 13th, 2012. Below is the press release and cover art. Visit the official Intervision website right HERE.
“When the Germans make a horror movie,” says Mr. Beaks of Ain’t It Cool News, “THEY MAKE A F%*#ING HORROR MOVIE!” In 1997, writer/director/special effects master Olaf Ittenbach changed the face of video horror, force-fed its ripped-out eyeballs to screaming audiences, then used a drill, machete and shotgun on its still-twitching torso: Ittenbach himself stars as a degenerate junkie who babysits his young sister with two bedtime stories of the damned. First, an escaped serial killer turns date night into a graphic family massacre. Then a country priest on a rape and murder spree leads to a disturbingly explicit descent into Hell. It became the VHS that shocked America. It has been banned in its Motherland for nearly 20 years. And it remains perhaps the most violent and depraved shot-on-video saga in history. This is THE BURNING MOON.
– Anchor Bay Entertainment releases THE TERROR EXPERIMENT on DVD and Blu-Ray on April 10th which stars Jason London, C. Thomas Howell, Alicia Leigh Willis, Lochlyn Munro, Alexander Mendeluk, with Robert Carradine, and Judd Nelson. Below’s a clip from the flick:
– Finally! Darren Lynn Bousman’s remake of MOTHER’S DAY will be released via Anchor Bay Entertainment on May 8th in a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack. Featuring an all-star cast including Rebecca DeMornay (The Hand That Rocks The Cradle), Jamie King (My Bloody Valentine), Brianna Evigan (S. Darko, Step Up 2: The Streets), Patrick John Flueger, Deborah Ann Woll (HBO’s “True Blood”), Lyriq Bent (Saw II-IV), Frank Grillo (The Grey) and Shawn Ashmore (Frozen), you can read our review of MOTHER’S DAY right HERE and read our extensive interview with director Darren Lynn Bousman right HERE.
– Man oh man, if there’s one documentary I can’t wait for it’s CORMAN’S WORLD. And it finally hits DVD and Blu-Ray on March 27th! Below is the cover art and trailer. Join the Facebook fan page while you’re at it right HERE.
– Ready to get your fix? CAV Distributing will be releasing FIX: THE MINISTRY MOVIE on DVD and Blu-Ray later this year. While we wait on an official date, check out this teaser trailer below:
We’ll have another news update next week! ‘Til then, Fright Fans!